Hey guys!! I don’t know if y’all noticed, but I’d taken a kinda miniiiii hiatus?? I’ve realised that I don’t actually enjoy blogging according to a fixed schedule- it makes my blog feel like a chore to me, and I’ve decided that I want to do what I enjoy, so I’m only gonna blog when I feel like it and it makes me happy- I don’t want to force myself if you know what I mean?? In December and January, I was blogging like 3-4 times a week, and I realised that really took the fun out of it for me. So from now on, I’m only gonna blog once or twice a week so that I can actually ENJOY it.
So obviously, because I’ve been posting less, my site stats have dropped a bit. Not by a significant amount surprisingly, but still, they have dropped a bit. I would have thought that would affect me a bit, but surprise surprise- I realised stats aren’t exactly important to me!
Some people think: “Hey, stats aren’t important and don’t look at them! Numbers don’t define you, just blog for enjoyment.” Other people think: “STATS are important and help you grow as a blogger, because in some ways, they do help you measure your success!” I totally see both these view points, and I agree with both to an extent, but I personally as I said, am not affected by stats much.
Now obviously, that doesn’t mean that I don’t appreciate every single person who follows me, or that I don’t feel happy when someone likes or comments on my post, because it DOES. I love a day when I have great stats and lots of people are viewing my blog. bUT stats and the number of views doesn’t really matter to me as much. But I have realised, stats are something which are quite important to a lot of bloggers, and I understand why. But I also think that stats should only matter to a certain extent, and shouldn’t become the main reason for blogging. I don’t think that numbers of your followers, likes or comments should define how successful you are as a blogger or whether your blog is worth reading or not. However, I do think stats are important to help you grow as a blogger, and to show you your improvement over time.
So here’s a small discussion post: How important are site stats? Here are a few reasons why stats are pretty important and should be looked at:
- They give you an idea of what kind of posts your audience enjoys reading
- They give you an idea of your blogging success in numbers
- They show you your growth and improvement over time
- Let’s be honest- they give you validation and make you feel good
- Blogging is something which takes a lot of time, energy, effort, and brain cells, so it’s satisfying to know that people like and enjoy reading content you work hard on
And here’s some reasons why stats really DON’T MATTER:
- Numbers don’t define your worth- just because you don’t get as many views or follows as the neighbouring blog doesn’t mean you and your content aren’t amazing as hell.
- Numbers cannot quantify your passion
- Blogging is all about passion- as long as you’re writing content you are proud of and makes you happy, stats don’t matter
- The blogosphere is a big world, and it’s not easy for your blog to kick off as soon as it starts. Give it time, because blogging is a slow but honestly rewarding process
This is honestly just my opinion, and I’m sure everyone has some different views and insights on this. For me, blogging isn’t about the stats as much as it is about the fun, but I’m really interested to hear everyone else’s opinions on this, because in some ways, stats is a pretty controversial topic, and I want to know what y’all think.
Let’s chat! Tell me your opinions in the comments below!! 🙂
Thanks for reading!